doing anything outdoors (playing ANY sport, hiking, rafting, etc.), but going for a run or hitting the gym aren't exactly my things. Since graduating college over a year ago, I came to the realization that I was going to have to start really working out. I say "really" because in high school/college I was walking all over the place plus dancing, playing soccer and taking PE which kept me in decent shape. I've since had to find alternatives to stay in shape. Because I'm not a gym girl or a runner, I've discovered workout DVDs! (I know, "you played soccer yet you're not a runner?" Did I mention I was a goalie for most of my soccer career. haha!) This sounds crazy, but DVDs are great! It's like having a personal trainer in your own home, at least that's the way I see it. I feel like if I don't do the DVD full out, the "instructor" is going to see me and know that I'm not giving it my all. Another plus, I can change my routine daily. I can do yoga one day, Tae Bo the next, simple aerobics the next OR I can combine DVDs for one amazing workout. Some of my favorite videos:
Windsor Pilates - I started doing pilates my senior year of high school, and it got my abs in great shape. The DVD I use now is "Windsor Pilates for Pink." It incorporates a resistance band into 3- 15 minute sections: upper body, lower body, and abs. It is fabulous! I've taken several pilates classes and tried different DVDs, but Windsor Pilates is by far my favorite.
Walk Away the Pounds - As you can probably tell, I'd rather walk than run -- so this workout DVD series is perfect for me (and probably for more than half of you). But don't get
jump to conclusions, this is not a leisurely Sunday walk in the park; this is a full on power walk...well, at least the DVD I use. The DVD I use regularly is the "5-mile walk." You can choose to do all 5 miles or just 1 mile. Along with simply walking in place (to a fast pace of course), the workout includes side steps, walking forward and back, high knees, kicking, etc. Three out of the five miles also incorporate some sort of upper body workout. One mile uses hand weights (I use ankle weights and wrap them around my wrists). Another mile uses a "firming band" (I don't have this so I just use the hand weights again). The final mile uses a resistance band. This is a complete body workout! The only downside to this DVD....the "instructor." She's pretty annoying, but you can chose a "music only" mode before beginning the workout which completely shuts her up.
jump to conclusions, this is not a leisurely Sunday walk in the park; this is a full on power walk...well, at least the DVD I use. The DVD I use regularly is the "5-mile walk." You can choose to do all 5 miles or just 1 mile. Along with simply walking in place (to a fast pace of course), the workout includes side steps, walking forward and back, high knees, kicking, etc. Three out of the five miles also incorporate some sort of upper body workout. One mile uses hand weights (I use ankle weights and wrap them around my wrists). Another mile uses a "firming band" (I don't have this so I just use the hand weights again). The final mile uses a resistance band. This is a complete body workout! The only downside to this DVD....the "instructor." She's pretty annoying, but you can chose a "music only" mode before beginning the workout which completely shuts her up.Core Rhythms (my favorite!) - You may have seen the infomercials for this workout series. For anyone who loves to dance, this series is great! It uses Latin dance moves to create one incredible workout. Even the beginner video makes you sweat. The workout focuses on the core (obviously), but you will definitely feel it in your legs and arms as well. I know this DVD works because I've lost 7 pounds since first starting about 6 weeks ago. Don't worry, no need to order and wait for it to arrive, just head to Target.
Anyone use workout DVDs or take any cool classes? I'd love to hear!
Today's song of the day, which I love to listen to when I workout is Scotty Doesn't Know by Lustra. So maybe it's not your typical workout song, but I love listening to it!

0 comments:
Post a Comment